Friday, October 30, 2009

Brutus

In the beginning of Julius Caesar Brutus is in turmoil between doing what he thinks is best for Rome and being loyal to Caesar. "Vexed I am of late with passions of some difference, conceptions only proper to myself, which give some soil perhaps to my behaviors." Brutus is explaining to Cassius that he is distraught with himself and the fact Caesar is rising to power. These, he is saying, are responsible for his unusual actions. Brutus strives to maintain his nobility and honorable position in society and will do anything for the good of Rome. His overall ambitions are driven by his love of the Roman Empire. However Cassius persuades Brutus, quiet easily, to turn over to the conspirators' side and eliminate Caesar from power. Cassius used Brutus' love of Rome to convince him that eradicating Caesar would be for the better. I thought Brutus was the most intriguing because he is a man willing to cut down another man, who has not personally wronged him, simply to aid a greater cause. On one hand I want to believe he should be highly venerated, but on the other I think he can't fully think for himself and can easily be persuaded. However Brutus was still a good man wanting to do the right thing. He firmly stood by his belief and even carried it with him to battle. Near the end Brutus reverts back to his original stance on things, "Caesar, now be still, I kill'd not thee with half so good a will." He now realizes that his motives for killing Caesar were weak and that his own death is the only logical outcome.

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis of the character of Brutus. I would like to have seen more quotes to support your points. That would have achieved more depth.

    I, too, am conflicted with Brutus. I like him and respect some of his qualities, but in the end it is murder.

    Good connection to modern politics.

    4-2-3

    ReplyDelete